Frequently Asked Questions
Your Southport dealer is an excellent resource for questions regarding the ride, performance and options associated with all Southport models. Listed below are answers to the most frequently asked questions. Should you need additional information please contact your local dealer or submit your questions on our contact page and we will be happy to assist you.
- All boat builders say their boats ride well. What makes the Southport ride exceptional?
- How would you compare a Southport to other similar off-shore center console style outboard boats?
- How do I decide what model is best for me?
- Safety is important to me. What makes Southport a safe boat?
- What changes have you made to the original Southports?
- Why would I buy a new Southport when I can buy a used one?
- Why are Southport boats affordable to operate?
- Why are Southport boats easy to clean and maintain?
- You talk about legacy of Southport boats. What does that mean?
- What does the future hold for Southport? After all, the original builder has already failed?
- Does Southport have plans for larger or smaller boats?
- Some people say the test of a good boat is its warranty and the willingness of the company to stand behind its product. What is Southport’s policy?
- Do you sell direct from factory?
- Why should I buy from my local dealer?
- How do I get a ride in a Southport?
- My local dealer does not appear to have the model I want available, what do I do?
- Can I order a customized Southport?
- Is the Southport available as a single engine boat?
- I need to sell my current boat before I can buy another, what do I do?
- I need a boat that can be trailered to my house for storage, can I do that with a Southport?
- Almost all the Southports I see are white. Can I get a colored hull?
- How much do Southports weigh?
All boat builders say their boats ride well. What makes the Southport ride exceptional?
The unique quality of Southport boats is the ride. At no time at no speed does the horizon get lost from view. The folks at Hunt have the LCV (longitudinal center of gravity) so well “dialed in,” the boats run flat; they don’t climb out of a hole, or require super acceleration to mitigate “bow rise” or get on plane. This means that when the sea conditions won’t let you run at high speeds, you will still be comfortable at whatever throttle setting the ocean will permit. And with the super flare at the bow, the boats are dry riding.
How would you compare a Southport to other similar off-shore center console style outboard boats?
While there are several good center console boats on the market once you ride on a Southport you will immediately appreciate the difference. The performance Southport delivers is second to none. Extremely agile, quick responding, excellent tracking and tremendous stability are all noticeable features of the Hunt4 designed hull. A Southport rides level at all speeds with none of the bow rise that plague many Deep-Vs’ – you will never lose sight of the horizon. When you push throttles forward on a Southport you will feel the boat lift out of the water and accelerate as if you were driving a sports car, and like a high end sports car Southports are appreciated for their styling, quality fit and finish and control /comfort at high speed.
How do I decide what model is best for me?
Every Southport model delivers a remarkably agile, dry, safe and responsive ride. All models are built to the same high standards of craftsmanship, construction and attention to detail. To determine which model suits you best think about how you typically use your boat, how many people you boat or fish with and what you would like to do out on the water.
- The 27 CC offers a nice combination of fishing features and comfortable forward seating.
- The 29 CC is a wide beamed boat that has a large fish/storage box forward of the console instead of port and starboard forward seats.
- The 29 TE has additional fishing features and a tackle center instead of aft facing seats behind the leaning post.
- The 29 FE provides plush seating, teak accents, forward seating, an optional entertainment center as well as being fully rigged for fishing.
- The 29 EX is configured for cruising and provides everything you need to enjoy weekend overnights at your favorite anchorage.
Safety is important to me. What makes Southport a safe boat?
Southport’s unique hull design, wide stable platform and smooth predictable handling, provide safety you can feel. High speed turns are not scary, they are fun; slicing through large waves in a strong wind is not nerve wracking, it is exciting. High strength vacuumed infused parts, high quality components and attention to construction detail ensures every Southport can withstand all the punishment you can handle. Although not required by law, we insist that all voids beneath the floor are filled with closed cell foam floatation to provide an extraordinary amount of buoyancy capable of keeping a Southport afloat. On every ride you will appreciate and feel the safety built into every Southport.
What changes have you made to the original Southports?
Without changing the performance of Southport Boats, the new ownership has “fine tuned” the construction in many ways. A few of the most significant changes are:
- The transition to vacuum infusion for all major components, including the hull, cockpit liner, deck, console, leaning post, and similar large parts. This modern approach produces 100% void free laminate that is exactly the same every time. Using the vacuum infusion process allowed us to re-engineered the laminate, adding 160% more glass fiber in the hull sides, 100% more in the hull bottom, and 80% more in the transom. The result is a significantly stronger boat than before, with much higher construction quality, and increased panel stiffness.
Click to read more about our Hull Design and Construction
- We use vinyl ester resins on all major structural components (hull, internal grid unit, cockpit liner, deck) that have been specifically formulated for high strength and blister resistance. Additionally, we have increased the exterior skin coat thickness against the gel coat surface by 50% and added a vinyl ester barrier coat that further guards against water permeation and blistering but also improves cosmetic properties.
- We have transitioned to a higher density core material (more than 180% improved) as we re-engineered the overall laminate. Our goal is to be 100% free of structural warranty claims and to NEVER have a transom failure on a Maine-built Southport. Never.
- We have upgraded the wiring system making it ABYC compliant and now install a high quality Pacer switch panel on the dash that provides more space for electronics.
- We have modernized the plumbing system and switched to a Techma Easy Fit-series marine head, which minimizes water consumption, is ergonomically superior, and simplifies maintenance. A console port light is now standard and provides ventilation and natural light.
- We have upgraded all thru-hull fittings to ABCY approved Marelon® composite reinforced polymer fittings. This superior marine-grade material is non-corrosive and reduces the risk of galvanic electrolysis.
- Many supplier components have been upgraded. The T-Top is now fabricated in the Northeast by one of the leading craftsman in the industry. Structural members have been upgraded to 2” Schedule 80 piping with improved structural bracing and overall aesthetic design. The top itself is solid fiberglass with embedded mounting points, including the ability to retrofit outriggers at a dealership. Non-skid has been added to the top surface such that a second station could be added while lighting is all premium LED, with dual color or tricolor lights at the navigation station. The top comes standard with a heavy duty “super clear” acrylic windshield that provides excellent weather protection and there is an option for a wiper with a fresh water rinse.
Why would I buy a new Southport when I can buy a used one?
There are several advantages to buying a new boat versus a used one:
- A new boat will have a valid and longer length warranty than a used boat.
- You have the opportunity to select the accessories and options you value the most.
- You can install the most current electronics and equipment without compatibility concerns with older equipment.
- The benefit of having the most reliable and fuel efficient outboard engines available.
- A new Southport has all the latest improvements we continue making to the boat, to the accessory equipment and to the manufacturing process.
Why are Southport boats affordable to operate?
Southport’s Hunt4 Design hull was developed specifically to maximize the performance and power of modern dual outboards. Expertly balanced, the hull design delivers a clean, responsive and efficient ride which provides good fuel economy. Run a Southport at 3,500 rpm, a speed of 31 mph, and you will burn less than 17 gallons per hour – almost 2 miles per gallon. Throttle back to a typical cruising speed of 24-25 mph and you will burn less than 13 gallons per hour. Check out the Yamaha Performance details for all models to see how economical a Southport performs.
Why are Southport boats easy to clean and maintain?
Because Southports are thoughtfully designed and built using the highest quality materials and components, maintenance is relatively easy. A simple wash with soap and water followed with a fresh water rinse after each use will help maintain the beauty of your Southport. Scuppers and drainage channels quickly evacuate water from storage compartments and the cockpit. Having your dealer perform factory recommend service on the outboards will ensure you are running safe and efficiently.
You talk about legacy of Southport boats. What does that mean?
The founders of Southport boats were icons in the marine industry, experienced offshore fisherman, offshore racing enthusiasts and completely dedicated to developing a new hull design that would meet their extremely high standards. Working with the C. Raymond Hunt Associates team they developed a fabulous running boat, which we continue to fine tune and improve. We continue to work with the folks at Hunt as we make plans to build new models and add to the Southport line of soft riding, stable, exciting boats.
What does the future hold for Southport? After all, the original builder has already failed?
The ownership at Southport reflects the Maine boat building culture with a reputation for honesty and integrity and a commitment to quality craftsmanship. As a result we will continue to build to market demand and deliver the highest possible quality boats in their class. Southport is owned by a financially stable, 65 year old family company that also operates in the energy, chemical and paper industries all of which insure longevity for the Southport Boats division.
Does Southport have plans for larger or smaller boats?
Yes, we continue to work with the folks at C. Raymond Hunt Associates to develop new models. If you are interested call the factory for the latest information.
Some people say the test of a good boat is its warranty and the willingness of the company to stand behind its product. What is Southport’s policy?
We agree the measure of the builder is his reputation for supporting his product. For this reason Southport offers an industry standard warranty. But more important is the philosophy than the rhetoric. The Maine boat building community is known for both craftsmanship and integrity. Southport carries on this tradition by marketing exclusively through dealers who are chosen for their ability to deliver the highest quality of customer service, which includes full and unquestioned implementation of our factory warranty.
Do you sell direct from factory?
Why should I buy from my local dealer?
We believe it is important to establish a relationship with the Southport dealer located closest to where you will do most of your boating. Your local dealer can offer expert customer service and support regarding maintenance, repairs and / or desired equipment upgrades.
How do I get a ride in a Southport?
Your local dealer can provide opportunities for you to experience the performance, fun and unequaled ride of a Southport. Don’t be surprised if they suggest a test ride when the wind is blowing or the surf is high. You can’t fully appreciate Southport’s remarkable Hunt 4 Hull design on a flat calm day.
My local dealer does not appear to have the model I want available, what do I do?
Tell your local dealer what model you are interested in and they will help you. Your local Southport dealer is part of a team of professionals who work together, often sharing inventory and assisting each other. Your local dealer may have a boat on order which could be delivered soon outfitted with the specific color, options and accessories that are important to you.
Can I order a customized Southport?
Yes. Southport is not a high volume builder, which permits us to respond to good ideas from our present and prospective owners. At Southport we will take the time to build unique and custom elements for an owner as long as the request can be adapted to the basic hull and deck plan.
Is the Southport available as a single engine boat?
Yes, there were a number of single engine 26 CC’s (our 27 CC) delivered by the original builder. Owners tell us the boat handles like a dream, is obviously more economical to operate and maintain and sacrifices about 6-8 MPH top speed.
I need to sell my current boat before I can buy another, what do I do?
Your local Southport dealer can offer suggestions regarding how best to sell your boat. Depending on the model of the boat they may want to take it in trade, recommend a broker you can list it with or give you guidance on how to sell it as a private sale.
I need a boat that can be trailered to my house for storage, can I do that with a Southport?
Yes, but you should verify your state’s rules and regulations regarding potential limitations or requireme
Almost all the Southports I see are white. Can I get a colored hull?
Actually a number of boats have been built with colored hulls. Southport Boats offers a series of optional gelcoat colors, as well as an almost unlimited color pallet included in the AWLgrip urethane paint chart.
How much do Southports weigh?
The dry weight of a 27 CC is 4,600 lbs, the 29 CC & 29 TE weighs 5,800 lbs, the 29 FE weighs 6,000 lbs and the 29 EX weighs 7,400 lbs.
The weight of twin 250 hp or twin 300 hp Yamaha motors is 1,124 lbs.
The weight of 204 / 232 gallons of gasoline is 1,244 lbs / 1,415 lbs.
The estimated weight of fresh water and grey water is 431 lbs.
The estimated weight of gear on a typical Southport is 1,500 – 2,000 lbs.
The approximate weight of a fully equipped 27CC, 29 CC, 29 TE and 29 FE is 10,700 lbs; the 29 EX weighs 12, 400 lbs.
29FE Boat Review by Dave Getchell, Jr.
Featured in Maine Boats, Homes & Harbors February/March 2014 issue.
29 CC Boat Review by Chris Woodward
Featured in Sport Fishing Magazine
December 2012 Issue
29 TE Boat Review by Lenny Rudow
Featured in Saltwater Sportsman Magazine’s
June 2012 Issue
29CC Boat Review by Chris Landry
Featured in The Soundings
May 2012 Issue
29CC Boat Review by Captain Paul Mandella
Featured in On The Water Magazine’s
January 2012 Special Edition.